The Audio and Recording Production Certificate makes use of SSU's Walford Recording Studio, a state of the art Pro Tools HD facility located in Ives Hall. Students will use the recording studio as a lab to produce music as part of a formalized curriculum. Registered students are allotted personal studio time to work directly with Walford Studio hardware and software.
A faculty coordinator from the Department of Music will determine the eligibility of prospective students through a screening and application process. Basic orientation with computers and some fundamental music/audio experience is expected. Ability to read music notation is helpful. Applicants will be notified of their status by August 1 and are encouraged to attend an information session at the beginning of the academic semester.
A certificate will be awarded to students who successfully complete the two courses:
Audio & Recording Production I (Fall) - a fundamentals course to orient the student with the basic technologies and techniques of modern recording and production.
- The Recording/Production Process
- Sound, Hearing, Studio Design, and Acoustics
- Microphone Design, Applications, and Techniques
- Analog and Digital Audio Technologies
- MIDI and Electronic Music Technology
Audio & Recording Production II (Spring) - an advanced course focusing on the critical and creative aspects of production culminating in a capstone project bringing together the recording and mixing techniques acquired during the year.
- Advanced Pro Tools Session Procedures and Protocols
- The Art and Technology of Mixing, Monitoring, and Mastering
- Sound Processing: Shaping and Effecting Audio
- Advanced Editing Techniques and Time/Pitch Manipulation
- Sound Formats, Multimedia and the Web
August 24 - December 7, 2023
@ 7:00 pm - 8:40 pm