SPRING 2023 BOOK LIST FOR NAPA VALLEY-SOLANO LIBERAL STUDIES PROGRAMS
Biology 378: Environmental Toxicology (3 units)
Instructor: R. Donham
Text: None required
ENG 314: Modern World Literature in English (3 units)
Instructor: R. Zahra
Time: 6:00-8:40 pm
- Scheherazade Goes West: Different Cultures, Different Harems by Fatema Mernissi – March 1, 2002 ISBN-13 : 978-1468303704
- Persepolis: The story of a childhood by Marjane Satrapi. Paris: Pantheon Graphic Novels, 2004. Print. ISBN-13: 978-0375714573
- Beirut 75 by Ghada Samman, Translated by Nancy N. Roberts. University of Arkansas Press, 1995. Print. ISBN-13: 978-1557283825 (will be made available by PDF on Canvas if not enough copies are available online)
- Women at Point Zero by Nawal El-Saadawi, Trans. Sherif Hetata. New York: Zed Books Ltd., 1975. Print. ISBN-13: 978-1783605941.
- The Prophet: With Original 1923 illustration by Kahlil Gibran ISBN-13 : 978-1947844933
HIST 375: The History of the United States Since 1945 (4 units)
Instructor: J. Markay
Mode: Face-to-Face (F2F)
Time: 9:00 – 12:50 pm
Room: Napa Valley College 1434
Text: None required
NAMS 338: Native Americans and the Cinema (3 units)
Instructor: A. Hall
Mode: Online, synchronous
Time: 6:00 – 8:40 pm
Text: All available for free online
- Weaver, Jace. “Ethnic Cleansing, Homestyle”
Wicazo Sa Review, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Spring, 1994), pp. 27-39; Published by: University of Minnesota Press; Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1409307 .
- Jay, Gregory. “’White Man’s Book No Good’: D. W. Griffith and the American Indian” Cinema Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4 (Summer, 2000), pp. 3-26.
Published by: University of Texas Press on behalf of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies; Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1225883
- Smith, Paul Chaat. “The Big Movie” in Everything You Know about Indians Is Wrong. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2009. Stable URL: https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.sonoma.idm.oclc.org/lib/sonoma/detail.action?docID=592800
- Soliz, Cristine. “’The Searchers’ and Navajos: John Ford’s Retake on the Hollywood Indian.” Wicazo Sa Review, Vol. 23, No.1 (Spring 2008), pp. 73-95. Published by: University of Minnesota Press. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30131247
- Reed, T. V. “Old Cowboys, New Indians: Hollywood Frames the American Indian.” Wicazo Sa Review, Vol. 16, No. 2, Film and Video (Autumn, 2001), pp. 75-96. Published by: University of Minnesota Press. Stable URL:http://www.jstor.org/stable/1409608
- Stripes, James. “A Strategy of Resistance: the ‘Actorvism’ of Russel Means from Plymouth Rock to the Disney Studios.” Wicazo Sa Review, Vol. 14, No. 1, Indigenous Resistance and Persistence (Spring, 1999), pp. 87-101. Published by the University of Minnesota Press. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1409517
- Cassadore, Duane. Re-Imagining Indians: The Counter Hegemonic Respresentations of Victor Masayesva and Chris Eyre (Dissertation), pp. 106-134. Tucson: University of Arizona, 2007. Stable URL: https://csu-sonoma.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01CALS_SOL/bu7vu6/cdi_proquest_journals_304894034
SSCI 300/400: Portfolio Preparation and Evaluation (4 units)
Instructor: M. Churchill
Time: 6-9:40 pm
Room: Vallejo Campus--123
- Hacker, Diana and Nancy Sommers. A Writer's Reference. 10th ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2021. 10th edition ONLY. Paperback, ebook, comb-bound are all okay.
- Come to the first class for information on the other text.
- SSCI 400 will have no texts other than that for SSCI 300.