Registration and Fees
How to Register for Classes through Open University
Registration form will be accepted through the normal add/drop period, usually the first two weeks of each semester; see the SSU Academic Calendar for details.
1. Choose your classes:
View the SSU Schedule of Classes. Select the course(s) you wish to take. Be sure you have fulfilled any necessary prerequisites and are eligible to enroll in each course. Complete course descriptions can be found in the current SSU Catalog. Please note: SEIE has no control over this class schedule.
2. Obtain instructor approval for each course
The best method to contact instructor's is by using email. You can find the required contact information using the SSU directory found here: SSU Directory. Save the approval email from the instructor and attach a copy to your registration form.
Most classes require only an instructor approval. However, some schools or departments require more:
- School of Business and Economics: Graduate business courses (500-level) are not available through Open University. For undergraduate courses, you must also obtain the Business Administration department chair's signature before registering.
- School of Natural Sciences courses with a laboratory component: You must also obtain the Department Chair's signature.
- School of Education classes: Individuals should meet with the department chair of the department in which the course they wish to take is offered in order to determine if an Open University enrollment is appropriate. You must obtain the signature of the Education Department Chair; instructor's signature is not required.
3. Fill out an Open University Registration form.
Note: *The Open University Registration Form will be available from 8 AM to 3 PM starting on the first day of the Spring/Fall term. See SSU academic calendar for dates. Please note the registration form will be closed on all weekends and holidays. Please plan ahead and try to register accordingly.
You will need one form for each class you wish to enroll in.
4. Complete payment as instructed by following instructions found in your approval email.
Disqualified students will need to contact their advisor for approval to enroll in an Open University course. You can attach your advisor’s approval email to your registration form.
Financial aid can be used only by Special Sessions degree or other approved program students who will already have been advised of their eligibility.
If the class is full, Open University students cannot be put on waiting lists. You will need to let us know when a spot has opened up so we can register you. You must keep checking with the instructor as we cannot track this for you.
You are not officially registered in a class until fees are paid and your registration form has been received by Extended Education. Current fees per unit:
- Undergraduate Lecture/Discussion: $340 per unit
- Graduate Lecture/Discussion: $470 per unit
- Nursing Department courses: $340 per unit
- School of Science and Technology Laboratory courses: $470 per unit
- This fee applies to all Science and Technology courses with a laboratory component